PLACES OF INTEREST
Memorable region of Zarasai city welcomes everyone with fabulous nature, cultural events, impressive places to visit. You should not be astonished when you hear sentences like: „the biggest lake in Lithuania – Drūkšiai lake“, „the oldest Oak in baltic area – Stelmužė oak“, „the only one observation bridge in Lithuania above Zarasas lake“, „Šlyninka water wind mill, which is a unique engineering heritage of more than three centuries with authentic equipment“, „Dusetos art gallery – the mansion of artists“, etc. You cannot only hear about this places, you must see it, feel it and get to know it...
Verslava mound
One of the most impressive mounds in the district is about 2 km from Antalieptė, 80 meters north of the confluence of Šventoji river and Sėlupio stream. In the southern and south-eastern foothills of the mound the traces of an ancient village were found.
Independence Square in Dusetos
. In 1910, Dusetos already had a small square in the centre of the town, at the crossroads between three streets. In the interwar period this had become the town’s main square. It was popular as a meeting place for organisations which were active in Dusetos, including the atheists, riflemen, the Scouts, and the Pavasarininkai (members of a Lithuanian Catholic youth organisation), as well as
Imbradas Church of the Crucified Jesus
The classic folk style of the Imbradas Church of the Crucified Jesus is the only example of a structure featuring harmonious proportions and tectonic composition in the Zarasai district. Pranciškus Molis funded the construction of the church in 1786-1787, while brothers Jonas and Pranciškus Prūsoka financed its restoration and decoration. Later, during the period of Lithuania’s independence,
The birthplace of a composer Juozas Gruodis
In the Rokėnų village (Antazavė elderate) an erected sculptural pole with an arrow is pointing to the birthplace of Juozas Gruodis - a composer, teacher, conductor, public music figure. There on 13th of November 1966 a memorial stone was unveiled (author - L. Žuklys). It has a bas-relief with the image of the composer and inscription "Here, in the former homestead, on 20th of December 1884 th
Pakačinės (Demba) mound
The hillfort, which bears the hallmarks of being part of the Brushed Pottery culture, is located about 2km north-west of Antazavė, about 7km north-east of Dusetai, 1km south of the village of Pakačinė, and 1km east of the Dembai ‘individual farm’. According to Petras Tarasenka, it is a ceremonial hillfort which dates from the period between the first millennium BC and the fifth century
Pakalniškiai mound
Mound is located on a separate hill, on the north-west shore of the Ramio lake. It dates back to the first millennium BC.
Memorial museum of the poet Antanas Vienažindys
Memorial Museum of the Poet Antanas Vienažindys was established in Gipėnai village (Antazavė parish) in 1972. According to the various facts of Vienažindys family, A. Vienažindys supposedly spent his childhood here. Homestead in Gipėnai village remained almost unchanged. Long, ancient living house with a spacious and for this region characteristic porch was covered with straw in the past. It is be
Vida Žilinskienė's "Maritime Museum”
  Vida Žilinskienė's "Maritime Museum" is established in Gražutė Regional Park Visitor Centre, it is a maritime museum which is located farthest from the sea. This Maritime Museum has a unique collection of marine creatures, colourful corals, shells, fossils, and gifts, which are being collected for more than 30 years. There are more than 2000 of exhibits, and their number is
Antalieptė hydroelectric power plant
At 0.5 km from Antalieptė there is the first and the biggest mountain type hydroelectric power plant in the Baltics with 2620-kilowatt output. Using pressure derivation the water falls on the turbine wheel from maximum height possible in Lithuania - 35 meters. Hydroelectric power reserves are big: its water-storage pond area is 1,000 hectares, the pond has a capacity of 23.5 million cubic meters o
Antalieptės water mill
Antalieptė watermill was built in a neo-romantic style from broken and round rocks, red bricks and lime imitating peasant cottage architecture in 1855. Rectangular single-storey building was equipped with three sets of millstones and power plant, which supplied electricity for residents and institutions of the town. 1959-1966 the mill was electrified. The dam was later disassembled and the channel
Antazavės pinewood battlefield and hopper of guerillas
The place of dislocation of Vytautas County, Bear squad, Vytis partisan company, and the place of a battle. Two underground shelters are restored in the battle place.  Road sign on the road Antazavė - Dusetos will lead to this place.The ‘Forest Brothers’ started to protect Antazavė Forest as early as September-October 1944, following the brutal events in the village of Pakeriai. I
Drūkšiai Lake
Drūkščiai Lake is a natural area of European importance. The lake and its coastline stretches on the very edge of Lithuania, in the north-east part of it, on the junction of Zarasai, Ignalina districts and Visaginas Municipality, and adjoins to the the state border. Lake is a transboundary water basin, which crosses the state border between Lithuania and Belarus. Approximately 700 hectares of its
Luodis Lake
Luodis is one of the largest lakes in Lithuania. Žvėrinčius horn cape is its largest and longest peninsula,  a unique 200 m spit is interposed into aquatory, prolonging at the tip on a sandbank.  
Domininkas Bukontas Monument
After the death of D. Bukontas (1873-1919) an effort has been made by the close people to form the society of his revival. In 1939 on behalf of this society Juozas Žagrakalis published a study "Dr. Domininkas Bukontas" (one copy is stored in Zarasai public library). The funds were raised to build a monument according to the project prepared by sculptor Vincas Grybas. But, Soviet occupati
Smalvos Our Lady of the Rosary Church
The church stands in the centre of the village, in a square formed by intersecting roads. The main façade of the church is facing the square. A wooden bell tower stands in the west side of the churchyard. This church has a rich history. In the beginning of the seventeenth century Jurgis-Samsonas Podbereskis built a wooden church in Smalvos and invited the monks of the order of Canons Regula
Turmantas Sacred Heart of Jesus church
Turmantas Sacred Heart of Jesus church stands in the small town of Turmantas, near Latvian border. The church service is said in Lithuanian and Polish languages. The church was built in 1928 and community was founded in 1945. The church is rectangular in its planning, with tower and low lateral sacristy.  
Zarasai old Jewish Cemetery
Does not work from 30's of 20th century.
Marimont Water Mill
Marimont was for a long time the property of Antazavė Manor or, more precisely, of the Counts Platers. Later it belonged to the Counts Ledochovskis, and at the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century it belonged to the Ropps. The last descendant of the Ropp family, Elizabeth Franziska von Ropp, married a shepherd by the name of Nicholas Voinarowski, and both Voinar
„WAKE-IN“ cable park
''WAKE-IN'' is a full circle track, 6 towers and a wakeboarding park, that is located on the wonderful lake Zarasas. The length of the track is almost 600 meters, and this is the largest wakeboarding park in the Baltic States. The track is open for both novices and professionals. On the track you can try wakeboarding, water skiing and kneeboard. Also, next to the park
 Antalieptės Energy Museum
Energy museum was established by Antalieptė community and Vilnius University Young Energy Club. The exposition consists of several parts: the development of energy from the Stone Age to modern times is illustrated in the museum, and a lot of attention is also paid to the local object - the Antalieptė hydroelectric power plant and its history. The museum has interactive exhibits created by young pe
Antalieptės Hanging Bridge
The pedestrian bridge over Šventaja in Antalieptė was installed in 1986. It is wooden, suspended from metal ropes, and supported by two pairs of concrete stands with supports and spacers. The bridge is especially interesting for children and is called the "monkey bridge" by them. in 1999 the bridge is included in the list of objects of historical and technical heritage.
Antalieptė monastery complex
Supposedly, barefoot carmelites in Antalieptė shown up around 1700. Patrons of Order were Strutynskiai family and Rožė family from Pliaterytė, who in 1732-1734 have funded building of new monastery and in 1760 have finished building of church of St. Cross Discovery. New church has two belltowers, single nave, as if comprise would be extended of 3 connected parts. Under whole estimate of ch
Antazave estate
 Antazavė Manor was founded at the end of the eighteenth century on the initiative of the German-born Counts Plater. At that time, the three-storey neo-Classical white mansion building was adorned with the Plater family coat of arms. A stone granary, barns, a cellar, and other outbuildings were added alongside the manor. A triple-terraced park was planted at the foot of Lake Zalvė, while an o
Monument in remembrance of Dusetos synagogue
Open in summer of 2016, momument is dedicated in the memory of synagogue, which was standing here since 18th century. Allegedly, synagogue burned down during fire of 1910. Author of the monument - Romualdas Pučekas.   
Barefoot path and sculpture park by Lake Vencavas
Barefoot trail The barefoot trail is located on the picturesque shores of Lake Vencavas. The length of the trail is about 600m. It is mandatory to walk barefoot over various surfaces (inert materials, glass, wooden elements, structures, natural obstacles, etc.). It is an intense foot massage with a dose of adrenaline and challenges. There are also rest areas and gazebos on this trail, where you
Cemetery and Chapel of Degučiai sentikiai
The cemetery was established in the 18th century, after the settlement of the Sentikiai community in Degučiai. The cemetery is full of monuments and ancient crosses. Since 2004 In the Degučiai sentikiai cemetery, the works of cemetery maintenance, monument restoration, chapel reconstruction, and donation collection are carried out. in 2006 The cemetery community "Degučių rimtis" was
Ivoniškės Hillfort
This hillfort was established on a separate hill. The site is elongated in a north-south direction, being 25 x 17-22m wide. At the southern end of the site is an embankment, 0.4m high and 22m wide, while the northern end has its own embankment, 0.3m high and 19m wide, behind which there is a ditch which is 7m wide and 0.3m deep. The hillfort dates back to the first millennium AD. 
Kamariškės Manor
The former homestead of the Kamariškiai manor remains in the village of Kamariškiai, in the Suviekas ward, about 2.3 km northeast of the village of Samaniai, south of the Lake Kamariskiai. There used to be a magnificent palace, a large park, two gardens, two ponds, barns, a vegetable garden, two cellars, stables, and a forge. Today, the majesty and beauty of the palace are reminded of two brick wi
Liaudiškiai Hillfort.
The hillfort is located 0.3km west of the village of Liaudiškės, 0.6km to the north-west of the northern shore of Lake Baltas. It is located on the south-eastern side of the hill. The hillfort’s eastern and western slopes are steep, ranging between 10-11m high. The 60 x 35m summit platform is rectangular. Its edges and the upper part of the slopes were trenched and fortified with concrete be
Maniuliškės Hillfort
The hillfort’s slopes are steep, reaching up to fourteen metres in height. The hillfort is located about 0.5km to the north-east of the village of Maniuliškės, and close to two lakes, Kumpuolaitis and Kumpuolis. The hillfort is situated on the cap at the top of the hill. The site is trapezoidal in shape, elongated in an east-west direction, 50m long, 29m wide at the eastern end, and 18m at t
Zarasai new Jewish cemetery
Cemeteries were opened in 30's of XXth century.
Independence monument in Degučiai
It was built on the initiative of the shooters(Šauliai) in 1928. (artist A. Rūkštelė), consecrated in 1935, rebuilt in 1990. The monument is in three parts, the middle one rising above the two lower wings. Round cement balls are placed in their upper parts. A metal board with the inscription: "Through the sacrifices and
Monument to E. Pliateryte
1830 - 1831 the uprising in the Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania was a struggle for freedom by peoples enslaved by tsarism. Among the participants of the uprising, the Lithuanian Joan of Arc - countess Emilija Pliaterytė became famous for her courage and determination. in 1831 March 29 together with his adjutant Marija Prušinskaite and Cezar Pliaterius, he announced the beginning of the uprising in
German WWI fortifications
Сombat actions of World War I, that had strated in 1914 in Europe on the territory of current Latvia and Lithuania countries, reached their superior limit in autumn of 1915. The front line in Zarasai district has set up from both sides of current Latvian and Lithuanian borders. On the territory of current Latvia was located the troops of Russian Empire, on the other side, on the territory of cu
Salakas cognitive trail
Salakas cognitive trail is 5 kilometers length circle route, which represents historical Salakas town and its surrounding areas. Trail‘s main arrows will lead via wooden path by Luodis shore, all the way to the watchtower. From the watchtower You will be able to observe panoramic view of lake Luodis, comfortably watch water and forest birds. Halfway cognitive trail – beloved by famil
Sculpture Park on the Big Island
The wooden sculptures symbolize the six lakes surrounding Zarasi.  
Memorial Museum of Educator Antanas Poderis
On the first floor of the A. Poderis memorial museum, there is an exhibition of the development of education in the Salakas region, on the second floor - the living and working rooms of the school's founder Antanas Poderis, and in the farm building there is an ethnographic exposition.
Tiltiškės watermill
The old Tiltiškės watermill was 150 kilometers away from the current one. Besides pair of simple grains, worked rough full wool felt, sawmill. Mill had its own plant providing electricity for residents of Tiltiškės village and Salakas town. At the present time:  The main and most original part of museum – the authentic grain elevator and original stained-glass windows. Major part of e
Center of traditional crafts in Antazavė manor
Traditional Zarasai region craft center is located in Antazavė manor, in late 17th century built by counts Pliateriai. In palace‘s ground floor there are woodcarving, weaving and pottery workshops – all what might needed for technical basics to produce craftworks. Fashion demonstrations are organised as well. Craftsmen are willingly sharing their experience with every visitor. In craft
JSC „EMERTA“ snail farm
JSC “EMERTA“ grows, recycles and produces products of African (Helix Aspersa Maxima) snails. Company is located in northeastern Lithuania, Zarasai district, nearby Salakas. Helix Aspersa Maxima snails is high quality food product, which includes a lot of proteins. Very valuable delicacy. It is tasty and healthy meat product with no fats and cholesterol. Food products of snail meat are
Vasaknos manor
The Manor of Vasaknos is located on the shore of Lake Vasaknos - it is a special place, where everyone can touch the exclusive history of the manor - here every interior detail is magnificent luxury. The manor is suitable for festive banquets, business meetings or conferences. Eighteenth-century renovated barn is modern and original, with spacious sleeping rooms and food in his restaurant is su
Velikuški mound with a settlement
Velikuškiai Hillfort I, which commemorates both the legacy left by the Brushed Pottery culture and the memory of the Selonians, was excavated in 1933 by Petras Tarasenka and Professor E Volteris. They investigated almost the entire 45 x 25m oval site and part of the 22m-high southern and eastern slopes. The investigations uncovered a cultural layer which went down to a depth of between 20-30cm (in
Vosgėliai mound
In ancient times, there was a wooden castle on the hill of Vosgėliai, associated with the 13th century ruler Vaisgėla from Nalšia. This is one of the most famous and picturesque mounds in Selija. Stone axes, bone objects, metal molds, jewelry, iron arrows and tools were found in the mound. The stories about the Vosgėliai mound mention the witch Laumė, the Swedish church covered with earth and open
Pedestrian path along the shores of Zarasas, Zarasaitis, Griežtas lakes and Nikajaus river.
This pedestrian path in the city of Zarasai is one of the newest. The footpath begins on Vytautas Street, at the house numbered 51. Going down the mountain, the panorama of Griežtas lake opens. As you travel along the path, you can see one of the many renovated beaches for the residents and tourists of the city of Zarasai. Continuing the journey along the banks of the Nikajaus river, you can see h
Green educational spaces of Zarasai Agricultural School
Zarasai Agricultural School, located near the city, invites all guests and residents of the city to admire its green educational spaces. They are adapted for school activities, but at the same time they are also a place for a walk. In the school yard you will find an impressive flower paradise, which is especially beautiful in June-September. The environment is decorated not only with carefully ma
© 2014-2020 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation