Cultural heritage objects
 Šaltupės chapel
Šaltupės chapel stood in the northern part of the Zarasai town, near Šaltupės street. The chapel was built in 1824 by Antanas Zarenbergas. It was made of brick, plastered and painted white. At the top, under a roof, there was a small arched opening, where a statue of Christ stood. People considered this statue being magical. There are different stories about how did the chapel appeared. The story
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Neo-Baroque style church was build on the highest place of the town. It is rectangular single nave building. Two towers erected on the main facade, between a wavy section. Upper parts of the four stage towers are octagonal with baroque style domes, globular superstructures and openwork crosses, the openings in the facade and towers are of different sizes and shapes. There are three altars in the c
Sėliai Square
This is an urban monument, the value of which is determined by the specific plan of the regular system of radial and circumferential streets, and one particularly highlighted feature with regard to the whole composition, Sėliai square, where all the radial streets meet. This is the only city in Lithuania with such city plan, among the other places of the 19th century planned according to the examp
All Saints Orthodox church in Zarasai
The Orthodox Church in the city of Zarasai, then called Novoaleksandrovsk, was built in 1839 and named Priobraženija Gospodina. It contained several icons painted according to the Greek style, as well as a painting of the Holy Mother which belonged to the Suveikas Uniate monastery, which is considered miraculous and worshipped by Orthodox and Catholic believers alike. In 1869, after a visit by the
The Stelmužė Ecclesiastical Art Museum in Affiliate Church of the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ
The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1650. The church is wooden and was constructed using only axes as tools, using neither saws nor iron nails. The interior of Stelmužė church was upholstered after 1713. There are quite a lot of valuable ornaments of Baroque style: bas-reliefs, high reliefs, sculptures, spiral columns, original wooden ornamentation, old religious paintings. From 1808 the chu
Tatar cemetery
There is no date when the cemetery was established, but it is still working till this day. This is the only Muslim cemetery in Aukštaitija.
The birthplace of Archbishop M. Reinys
The birthplace of Mečislovas Reinys was born in Madagaskaras village (formerly known as Bykov), people say, and that such name was given to the village by M. Reinys himself. The village has retained the homestead, where lived M. Reinys - the Archbishop of Kaunas, Vytautas Magnus University professor, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Independent Lithuania. Witnesses say, his birthplace was a nice
Šlyninkos Water Mill
Šlyninkos Water Mill is a three centuries old unique technical heritage building with preserved authentic equipment. A lot can be done in the mill: it is possible to see the grain milling process, to buy grain, flour and locally baked bread. It is worth mentioning that the grain is shipped to the mill only from organic farms. A variety of necessary equipment is available in the mill: roller machin
The birthplace of the poet Paulius Širvys
Born in the village of Padustėlis in 1920, Paulius Širvys (actually named Povilas according to the parish register) was the author of the poetic masterpieces, ‘Aš - beržas’ (I am a birch tree), ‘Ir nusnesšė saulę miškai’ (And the sun was carried away by the forests), and ‘Ateisiu tylią naktį’ (I will come on a silent night). His parents were intelligent people.
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows is neo-romantic style church, with neo-gothic features. It is a rectangular basilica with a semicircular apse, with two side sacristies, and one tower. It has three naves, which are covered by cross vaults, and three altars. The churchyard fence - stone masonry. The building is of extraordinary constructional valour. Although the church interior is mode
Tower of Slaves
Tower of Slaves is a small, high rectangular building with thick walls and openings in the upper part. It is built of rough stone, brick, lime and clay mortar in the Stelmužė park, near Padvarinės (Stelmužė) lake. In XVII-XIX centuries there was a manor house, originally owned by Germans Fölkersahms, and later by the Tsar's courtiers Valujevs, who were known for their cruelty. In the b
Independence Square in Dusetos
. In 1910, Dusetos already had a small square in the centre of the town, at the crossroads between three streets. In the interwar period this had become the town’s main square. It was popular as a meeting place for organisations which were active in Dusetos, including the atheists, riflemen, the Scouts, and the Pavasarininkai (members of a Lithuanian Catholic youth organisation), as well as
Antalieptė hydroelectric power plant
At 0.5 km from Antalieptė there is the first and the biggest mountain type hydroelectric power plant in the Baltics with 2620-kilowatt output. Using pressure derivation the water falls on the turbine wheel from maximum height possible in Lithuania - 35 meters. Hydroelectric power reserves are big: its water-storage pond area is 1,000 hectares, the pond has a capacity of 23.5 million cubic meters o
Antalieptės water mill
Antalieptė watermill was built in a neo-romantic style from broken and round rocks, red bricks and lime imitating peasant cottage architecture in 1855. Rectangular single-storey building was equipped with three sets of millstones and power plant, which supplied electricity for residents and institutions of the town. 1959-1966 the mill was electrified. The dam was later disassembled and the channel
Antazavės pinewood battlefield and hopper of guerillas
The place of dislocation of Vytautas County, Bear squad, Vytis partisan company, and the place of a battle. Two underground shelters are restored in the battle place.  Road sign on the road Antazavė - Dusetos will lead to this place.The ‘Forest Brothers’ started to protect Antazavė Forest as early as September-October 1944, following the brutal events in the village of Pakeriai. I
Zarasai old Jewish Cemetery
Does not work from 30's of 20th century.
Marimont Water Mill
Marimont was for a long time the property of Antazavė Manor or, more precisely, of the Counts Platers. Later it belonged to the Counts Ledochovskis, and at the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century it belonged to the Ropps. The last descendant of the Ropp family, Elizabeth Franziska von Ropp, married a shepherd by the name of Nicholas Voinarowski, and both Voinar
Antalieptė monastery complex
Supposedly, barefoot carmelites in Antalieptė shown up around 1700. Patrons of Order were Strutynskiai family and Rožė family from Pliaterytė, who in 1732-1734 have funded building of new monastery and in 1760 have finished building of church of St. Cross Discovery. New church has two belltowers, single nave, as if comprise would be extended of 3 connected parts. Under whole estimate of ch
 Antazavė Manor was founded at the end of the eighteenth century on the initiative of the German-born Counts Plater. At that time, the three-storey neo-Classical white mansion building was adorned with the Plater family coat of arms. A stone granary, barns, a cellar, and other outbuildings were added alongside the manor. A triple-terraced park was planted at the foot of Lake Zalvė, while an o
Zarasai new Jewish cemetery
Cemeteries were opened in 30's of XXth century.
German WWI fortifications
Сombat actions of World War I, that had strated in 1914 in Europe on the territory of current Latvia and Lithuania countries, reached their superior limit in autumn of 1915. The front line in Zarasai district has set up from both sides of current Latvian and Lithuanian borders. On the territory of current Latvia was located the troops of Russian Empire, on the other side, on the territory of cu
Tiltiškės watermill
The old Tiltiškės watermill was 150 kilometers away from the current one. Besides pair of simple grains, worked rough full wool felt, sawmill. Mill had its own plant providing electricity for residents of Tiltiškės village and Salakas town. At the present time:  The main and most original part of museum – the authentic grain elevator and original stained-glass windows. Major part of e
Center of traditional crafts in Antazavė manor
Traditional Zarasai region craft center is located in Antazavė manor, in late 17th century built by counts Pliateriai. In palace‘s ground floor there are woodcarving, weaving and pottery workshops – all what might needed for technical basics to produce craftworks. Fashion demonstrations are organised as well. Craftsmen are willingly sharing their experience with every visitor. In craft
© 2014-2020 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation