Museum of Zarasai region

Museum visitors can see the history of the region perpetuated in the old documents, fishing and hunting itemes and trophies, church literature, clothing, art works created by the fellow artist M. Šiletos, sacral sculptures, examples of the vintage fabrics and bedspreads, typical to this region. The museum is constantly running various temporary exhibitions, various cultural events, national holiday celebrations. Museum and Public Library operates in a progymnasium. This building of classical architecture was built in 1940's.

In 1934, thanks to the efforts of the teacher, S Jauniškis, a museum was established within the premises of the Zarasai Pro-Gymnasium. At the end of December 1935 it was taken over by the Zarasai County Board. In 1940, the museum archives contained more than two thousand exhibits. During the first years of the Soviet era most of the exhibits were destroyed. Only one cabinet with a few exhibits remained from the former museum archives. In 1963, the museum was closed down and all of the exhibits were handed over to the Rokiškis Museum of Regional History. In the spring of 1967, the Rokiškis Museum of Regional History opened a structural unit in Zarasai. In 1969, this was established in the present historical building which itself had been built in 1931, and which was then used for the Higher School of Commerce. On 22 August 1969, the museum was renamed as the Memorial Museum of the Heroine of the Soviet Union Marytė Melnikaitė. At the end of 1987, Zarasai Museum became independent and, during the revival period, it was renamed the Zarasai Regional Museum.

Working hours:

II-V – 10:00-18:00
VI – 10:00-16:00
Closed on VII-I and holidays

Visiting expositions and temporary exhibitions for 1 adult 2.50 EUR.
Visiting the exposition and temporary exhibition for a pupil, student, senior 1 person EUR 1.50.

Adrress: D. Bukonto st. 20, Zarasai
GPS coordinates: 55.728408, 26.245125
Phone No. + 370 385 52596, +370 385 52456
Other information:

With children, City, Zarasai town parish
© 2014-2020 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation