Antazave estate

 Antazavė Manor was founded at the end of the eighteenth century on the initiative of the German-born Counts Plater. At that time, the three-storey neo-Classical white mansion building was adorned with the Plater family coat of arms. A stone granary, barns, a cellar, and other outbuildings were added alongside the manor. A triple-terraced park was planted at the foot of Lake Zalvė, while an oval-shaped flower garden was built in front of the mansion’s main façade, surrounded by a wide path, and a little further on, two ponds were dug and a bridge was built to connect them. Either side of the road to the manor was planted with chestnut trees. Count Ludwig Plater occupied the manor from 1763 to 1788. After his death, the manor passed to his widow, Kunegunda Wollowicz Plater. In 1794, the countess financed the construction of Antazavė Church, plus the rectory and hospital, and donated land for a cemetery. Francis Xaverius Plater, the father of Emilia Plater and one of the three sons of Kunegunda and Ludwig Plater, grew up on this estate. In 1831, during the uprising, rebels were mobilised at Antazavė Manor. One of the uprising’s participants was Emilia Plater herself, known by her nickname of the ‘Lithuanian Joan of Arc’. A boarding school operated here from 1961. Later, on the initiative of the local historian, Stanislava Kirailytė, a museum was established on the second floor of the manor house, where archival and memorial items which were related to the history of the Antazavė region, the manor, the church, and the parish were all exhibited, as well as a comprehensive collection of material on the Counts Platers, their dynasty, and famous local people. 

Other information:

District, With children, Antazavė parish
© 2014-2020 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation