Pradžia places of interest chapels Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Aviliai
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Aviliai
avilibanyia887814.jpg1114848.jpg
avilibanyia887814.jpg1114848.jpg

It is a wooden basilica type church with rectangular plan, with Baroque and folk architecture features and a tower.

In 1875 the former chapel was renovated by Krivichi landlords from Vencavai. It was expanded and transformed into the church. Wooden Aviliai village church has a traditional shape - an oblong rectangle with a modest facade without portico. Triangular pediment is decorated with a semicircular window with radial rays. The roof of the church bears a tower with a bell-shaped helmet and ornate iron cross. At the end of two-slope roof the house of prayer has another openwork iron cross. The church interior is divided into three naves by six wooden columns. On both sides of the presbytery there are sacristies. Churchyard is enclosed by a stone fence with iron gates with three openings between brick pillars.

Aviliai church is always full of respect and generosity of parishioners. In 1930 they presented a bell, which up to now is calling the people to worship. It is named after St. Joseph. Travelling around these parts of Aukštaitija region leaves an unforgettable impressions in the memory: cozy, honoured and maintained by local people old wooden churches create ethno-cultural landscape which attracts by its modest but sleek beauty. Centuries-old sacral buildings built in the tradition of folk architecture have a great potential for tourism development, because they are concentrated amidst the lakes.

Contacts:

Address: Avilių village, Zarasai district
GPS coordinates: 5555.749912, 26.127571
Phone No. +370 385 41592
Other information:

District, With children, Zarasai parish
© 2014-2020 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation