Chapels
 Šaltupės chapel
Šaltupės chapel stood in the northern part of the Zarasai town, near Šaltupės street. The chapel was built in 1824 by Antanas Zarenbergas. It was made of brick, plastered and painted white. At the top, under a roof, there was a small arched opening, where a statue of Christ stood. People considered this statue being magical. There are different stories about how did the chapel appeared. The story
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Neo-Baroque style church was build on the highest place of the town. It is rectangular single nave building. Two towers erected on the main facade, between a wavy section. Upper parts of the four stage towers are octagonal with baroque style domes, globular superstructures and openwork crosses, the openings in the facade and towers are of different sizes and shapes. There are three altars in the c
All Saints Orthodox church in Zarasai
The Orthodox Church in the city of Zarasai, then called Novoaleksandrovsk, was built in 1839 and named Priobraženija Gospodina. It contained several icons painted according to the Greek style, as well as a painting of the Holy Mother which belonged to the Suveikas Uniate monastery, which is considered miraculous and worshipped by Orthodox and Catholic believers alike. In 1869, after a visit by the
Zarasai old believers' church
Old Believers (Russian: Starovers) is a group of Russian religious dissenters who refused to accept the liturgical reforms imposed upon the Russian Orthodox Church by the patriarch of Moscow Nikon (1652–58). The present church in Zarasai was built between 1990 and 1992 and consecrated in 1992. Its wooden frame is constructed on a concrete base, using timbers from the former Polivarkas chu
Antaliepte Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross
The church has 3 towers, one nave, elongated symmetrical 23.8 x 7.2 m plan. On one axis there is a rectangular nave, then a narrower and lower presbytery, to the southeast - a tapering apse and even lower two floor sacristy (on the second floor there was a chapel for the monks). It is completed by a wavy shape staircase and a tower above it. Behind the presbytery at the end of the church there is
The Church of Divine Providence in Antazavė
In 1794 a wooden, baroque-style, rectangular, cross plan with three naves - Church of Divine Providence was built in Antazavė. It is 33 x 17 m in size and 24 m high. The church was built of lumber, planked with split and then hewn planks, which where nailed down with forged nails. Exterior of the church has complex shapes: in the central facade there is a portic with four wooden columns, the secon
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Aviliai
It is a wooden basilica type church with rectangular plan, with Baroque and folk architecture features and a tower. In 1875 the former chapel was renovated by Krivichi landlords from Vencavai. It was expanded and transformed into the church. Wooden Aviliai village church has a traditional shape - an oblong rectangle with a modest facade without portico. Triangular pediment is decorated with a s
Tiberiade community, St. Casimir church in Baltriškės
Not far from Zarasai there is Baltriškės village, where visitors can talk with Tiberias, a Catholic religious brotherhood from Belgium, who live here since 2001. Now it consist only of approximately 20 monks. Most of them are from in Belgium, several are on missions in the Congo and Philippines. The monastic life is characterized by a complete solitude, but it is evangelical. For their lives it is
Place of Apparition of St. Mary The Virgin at lake Ilgis
At the midnight of July 30th of 1967, Juozas Kriauklys (15 years old) and his cousin Albina Skvarčinskaitė (16 years old) were riding home on motorcycle. Suddenly they saw the light on Ilgis lake and when they were riding over bridge, on rotten pole they saw spectacularly beautitul girl. Teenagers got scared, motorcycle engine got choked, so motorcycle made short distance on with engine off and th
Dusetos St. Trinity Church
Current brick church was built in 1888, previously wooden churches stood here.  Sources say that the construction of the church was funded by donations and secret benefactions made by parishioners across the the whole Samogitia diocese. Inside the church there are three altars, in which a part of the old L. Gogel sculptures are stored. Dusetos church has one historic monument (organ) an
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows is neo-romantic style church, with neo-gothic features. It is a rectangular basilica with a semicircular apse, with two side sacristies, and one tower. It has three naves, which are covered by cross vaults, and three altars. The churchyard fence - stone masonry. The building is of extraordinary constructional valour. Although the church interior is mode
Imbradas Church of the Crucified Jesus
The classic folk style of the Imbradas Church of the Crucified Jesus is the only example of a structure featuring harmonious proportions and tectonic composition in the Zarasai district. Pranciškus Molis funded the construction of the church in 1786-1787, while brothers Jonas and Pranciškus Prūsoka financed its restoration and decoration. Later, during the period of Lithuania’s independence,
Smalvos Our Lady of the Rosary Church
The church stands in the centre of the village, in a square formed by intersecting roads. The main façade of the church is facing the square. A wooden bell tower stands in the west side of the churchyard. This church has a rich history. In the beginning of the seventeenth century Jurgis-Samsonas Podbereskis built a wooden church in Smalvos and invited the monks of the order of Canons Regula
The Stelmužė Affiliate Church of the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ and Church bell tower
The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1650. The church is wooden and was constructed using only axes as tools, using neither saws nor iron nails. The interior of Stelmužė church was upholstered after 1713. There are quite a lot of valuable ornaments of Baroque style: bas-reliefs, high reliefs, sculptures, spiral columns, original wooden ornamentation, old religious paintings. The Stelmužė Chur
Turmantas Sacred Heart of Jesus church
Turmantas Sacred Heart of Jesus church stands in the small town of Turmantas, near Latvian border. The church service is said in Lithuanian and Polish languages. The church was built in 1928 and community was founded in 1945. The church is rectangular in its planning, with tower and low lateral sacristy.  
Antalieptė monastery complex
Supposedly, barefoot carmelites in Antalieptė shown up around 1700. Patrons of Order were Strutynskiai family and Rožė family from Pliaterytė, who in 1732-1734 have funded building of new monastery and in 1760 have finished building of church of St. Cross Discovery. New church has two belltowers, single nave, as if comprise would be extended of 3 connected parts. Under whole estimate of ch
© 2014-2015 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation