Cultural heritage objects
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Neo-Baroque style church was build on the highest place of the town. It is rectangular single nave building. Two towers erected on the main facade, between a wavy section. Upper parts of the four stage towers are octagonal with baroque style domes, globular superstructures and openwork crosses, the openings in the facade and towers are of different sizes and shapes. There are three altars in the c
Sėliai Square
This is an urban monument, the value of which is determined by the specific plan of the regular system of radial and circumferential streets, and one particularly highlighted feature with regard to the whole composition, Sėliai square, where all the radial streets meet. This is the only city in Lithuania with such city plan, among the other places of the 19th century planned according to the examp
All Saints Orthodox church in Zarasai
The Orthodox Church in the city of Zarasai, then called Novoaleksandrovsk, was built in 1839 and named Priobraženija Gospodina. It contained several icons painted according to the Greek style, as well as a painting of the Holy Mother which belonged to the Suveikas Uniate monastery, which is considered miraculous and worshipped by Orthodox and Catholic believers alike. In 1869, after a visit by the
The barn of Vasaknos manor
The manor of Vasaknos - former manor in Vasaknos village. The manor was bought and founded by the Grand Duke of Lithuania Trakai Castellan Jonas Radvila I in 1505. Later on, the Manor was managed by Jonas Radvila and his brother Mikalojus Radvila the Black. The Manor was bought out by counts Pliateriai in 1719, and by count Jonas – Mykolas Tiškevičius in 1828. The manor had a park with 5 pon
Tatar cemetery
There is no date when the cemetery was established, but it is still working till this day. This is the only Muslim cemetery in Aukštaitija.
The birthplace of Archbishop M. Reinys
The birthplace of Mečislovas Reinys was born in Madagaskaras village (formerly known as Bykov), people say, and that such name was given to the village by M. Reinys himself. The village has retained the homestead, where lived M. Reinys - the Archbishop of Kaunas, Vytautas Magnus University professor, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Independent Lithuania. Witnesses say, his birthplace was a nice
Šlyninkos Water Mill
Šlyninkos Water Mill is a three centuries old unique technical heritage building with preserved authentic equipment. A lot can be done in the mill: it is possible to see the grain milling process, to buy grain, flour and locally baked bread. It is worth mentioning that the grain is shipped to the mill only from organic farms. A variety of necessary equipment is available in the mill: roller machin
The birthplace of the poet Paulius Širvys
Padustėlio village is the place where the poet Paulius Širvys was born. The house in which he was born is preserved here. While it is not allowed to enter inside the homestead and there is no display stands, visitor will come here to see and feel the spirit of the place where, according to the poet, "birch forest - pine forest road with Sorrowful Christs near to the Wellsprings" begin an
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrows is neo-romantic style church, with neo-gothic features. It is a rectangular basilica with a semicircular apse, with two side sacristies, and one tower. It has three naves, which are covered by cross vaults, and three altars. The churchyard fence - stone masonry. The building is of extraordinary constructional valour. Although the church interior is mode
Tower of Slaves
Tower of Slaves is a small, high rectangular building with thick walls and openings in the upper part. It is built of rough stone, brick, lime and clay mortar in the Stelmužė park, near Padvarinės (Stelmužė) lake. In XVII-XIX centuries there was a manor house, originally owned by Germans Fölkersahms, and later by the Tsar's courtiers Valujevs, who were known for their cruelty. In the b
Independence Square in Dusetos
The Old Town is a valuable part of the cultural heritage - urban reserve, which has been granted a status of a cultural value of municipal significance. The goal of Dusetos urban reserve of the historical part of the city - to preserve the urban (planned, spatial, volumetric) structure of the historic part of the city, traditional types of construction in the whole area and its individual sites, t
Memorial museum of the poet Antanas Vienažindys
Memorial Museum of the Poet Antanas Vienažindys was established in Gipėnai village (Antazavė parish) in 1972. According to the various facts of Vienažindys family, A. Vienažindys supposedly spent his childhood here. Homestead in Gipėnai village remained almost unchanged. Long, ancient living house with a spacious and for this region characteristic porch was covered with straw in the past. It is be
Antalieptė hydroelectric power plant
At 0.5 km from Antalieptė there is the first and the biggest mountain type hydroelectric power plant in the Baltics with 2620-kilowatt output. Using pressure derivation the water falls on the turbine wheel from maximum height possible in Lithuania - 35 meters. Hydroelectric power reserves are big: its water-storage pond area is 1,000 hectares, the pond has a capacity of 23.5 million cubic meters o
Antalieptės water mill
Antalieptė watermill was built in a neo-romantic style from broken and round rocks, red bricks and lime imitating peasant cottage architecture in 1855. Rectangular single-storey building was equipped with three sets of millstones and power plant, which supplied electricity for residents and institutions of the town. 1959-1966 the mill was electrified. The dam was later disassembled and the channel
Antazavės pinewood battlefield and hopper of guerillas
The place of dislocation of Vytautas County, Bear squad, Vytis partisan company, and the place of a battle. Two underground shelters are restored in the battle place.  Road sign on the road Antazavė - Dusetos will lead to this place.
The Stelmužė Affiliate Church of the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ and Church bell tower
The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1650. The church is wooden and was constructed using only axes as tools, using neither saws nor iron nails. The interior of Stelmužė church was upholstered after 1713. There are quite a lot of valuable ornaments of Baroque style: bas-reliefs, high reliefs, sculptures, spiral columns, original wooden ornamentation, old religious paintings. The Stelmužė Chur
Zarasai old Jewish Cemetery
Does not work from 30's of 20th century.
Marimont Water Mill
Marimont (Mori Mont in latin means - "Hill of the Dead") is named after a big hill. A number of people have died here in accidents while driving down in winter time. On the right bank of the Marimo river there was a water mill. Now only remains of the water mill stonework are left here. The mill had grinding millstones, sift and groat mill. In the past the mill belonged to Antazavė manor
Antalieptė monastery complex
Supposedly, barefoot carmelites in Antalieptė shown up around 1700. Patrons of Order were Strutynskiai family and Rožė family from Pliaterytė, who in 1732-1734 have funded building of new monastery and in 1760 have finished building of church of St. Cross Discovery. New church has two belltowers, single nave, as if comprise would be extended of 3 connected parts. Under whole estimate of ch
Zarasai new Jewish cemetery
Cemeteries were opened in 30's of XXth century.
German WWI fortifications
Сombat actions of World War I, that had strated in 1914 in Europe on the territory of current Latvia and Lithuania countries, reached their superior limit in autumn of 1915. The front line in Zarasai district has set up from both sides of current Latvian and Lithuanian borders. On the territory of current Latvia was located the troops of Russian Empire, on the other side, on the territory of cu
Tiltiškės watermill
The old Tiltiškės watermill was 150 kilometers away from the current one. Besides pair of simple grains, worked rough full wool felt, sawmill. Mill had its own plant providing electricity for residents of Tiltiškės village and Salakas town. At the present time: The main and most original part of museum – the authentic grain elevator and original stained-glass windows. Major part of exposi
Center of traditional crafts in Antazavė manor
Traditional Zarasai region craft center is located in Antazavė manor, in late 17th century built by counts Pliateriai. In palace‘s ground floor there are woodcarving, weaving and pottery workshops – all what might needed for technical basics to produce craftworks. Fashion demonstrations are organised as well. Craftsmen are willingly sharing their experience with every visitor. In craft
© 2014-2015 VisitZarasai. All rights reserved
solution webmod: Web pages creation